Saturday 12 October 2013

Acrylic nails

You either love them or hate them. I have always been on the fence with acrylics, sometimes i look at people and cringe at there acrylic and other times I fall in love.
Since working at my new job my nails have been taking a beating, and despite having them chopped right back with shellac they were still breaking, tearing and splitting. 

This is why I have opted for acrylics, short, square and strong. I love them. 
My contracts up at work in January and I cannot see myself not having them on until I leave. As they are saving my nails.
Since wearing them my cuticles are in such better condition and he best part is no one has noticed that they're acrylic.


Acrylics have a persona that they are a lazy persons choice of nails. However you still have to look after your nails. 
Firstly it is important to get yourself a good nail technician, that preps our nails properly this will not only prevent fungal and bacterial nail infections from the offset but will prevent that nails from lifting which can also cause these infections that are caused due to moisture between the nail bed and acrylic. 

Applying a nail oil is also important as it keeps the cuticle healthy as well as the nail bed, but also penetrates through the polish you're wearing and keeps the acrylic supple reducing the chances of cracking, breaking and lifting. The cuticle oils sold are usually antibacterial as well and will help keeping the nails clean. Personally i use antibacterial hand gel in all the cracks and crevices every other day before applying my cuticle oil.

One of the best things about acrylic is that your nail polish wont chip meaning that you can wear the colour for weeks. I personally change the polish weekly, using an acetone free nail polish remover. Although 
its fine to change the polish yourself with acrylics its important to not do it too regularly as it can weaken the nail.

As for infills I get my done fortnightly, where they will remove your polish file down, prep the nail before infilling the regrowth and applying a thin coat of acrylic over the previous. They will then reshape the nail and apply your polish of choice. You could stretch to three weeks but you then run the risk of breakage and lifting. 

Every 2 months its a good idea to have the whole set removed and replaced. The acrylic has usually got quite thick on the nail by this time and most people will want a new set however it can prevent bacterial and fungal infection.s by Having this done as the nails health can be assessed. A manicure is suggested on these appointments as well as removal to keep nails in the best of health. 

Personally I'm loving having acrylic nails!



No comments:

Post a Comment